The High Museum of Art is the exclusive East Coast venue for a sweeping retrospective featuring more than 250 prints and ephemera by artist Andy Warhol (American, 1928–1987). This comprehensive show is the largest exhibition of its kind and includes such iconic screenprint portfolios as Marilyn Monroe (1967), Campbell’s Soup I (1968), Electric Chair (1971), and Mao (1972).
Printmaking featured prominently throughout Warhol’s career, beginning with his earliest work as a commercial illustrator in the 1950s. He discovered the process of silkscreen printing in 1962 and produced his first portfolio of screenprints, Marilyn, in 1967 at his legendary Factory studio. Subsequently, silkscreen printing became synonymous with Warhol’s art from the Factory Years through the end of his life.
The works in the exhibition are drawn exclusively from the collections of Jordan D. Schnitzer and the Jordan Schnitzer Family Foundation in Portland, Oregon. Remarkable for their nearly exhaustive range, the Schnitzer Collections offer an unparalleled opportunity to explore the breadth of Warhol’s influential graphic production over the course of four decades. The artist’s fascination with the commodification of celebrity chronicles American popular culture of the second half of the twentieth century and serves as a prelude for considering our current fame-obsessed, media-saturated culture.
Andy Warhol: Prints from the Collections of Jordan D. Schnitzer and His Family Foundation is organized by the Portland Art Museum.
- High Shows Why Warhol's 15 Minutes Never End
- High Museum hosts largest Andy Warhol retrospective, featuring famous works, LGBT-themed pieces
- High Museum of Art presents sweeping Andy Warhol print retrospective – Atlanta, GA
- Collin Kelley Writes High Museum of Art's Warhol Exhibit's Depth and Breadth are Spectacular
- Review: Getting High with Warhol
- Famous For 15 Minutes: AndyWarhol's Art at the High Museum
- Getting High with Warhol
- Warhol Exhibit at High Museum Extended Until September 10th
June 1. 2017
- YP, Contributing, and Patron Reception and Preview Evening - @ Stent Family Wing @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Member Preview Evening - @ High Museum of Art - @ 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
June 2, 2017
- First Fridays: Warhol Factory Party - @ High Museum of Art - @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- YPs Happy Hour + Warhol Factory Party - @ Artmore Hotel - @ 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
June 27, 2017
- Talk: Eric Shinern - @ Hill Auditorium - @ 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm
July 9, 2017
Second Sundays - @ High Museum of Art - @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
July 30, 2017
- Family Programming - @ High Museum of Art - @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
August 23, 2017
High Art Series: Andy Warhol and Pop Art - @ High Museum of Art - @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm