FRANK STELLA PRINTS: A RETROSPECTIVE
MADISON MUSEUM OF CONTEMPORARY ART, MADISON, WI: FEBRUARY 6 - MAY 15, 2016
For over fifty years, Frank Stella has created a significant body of abstract art comprised of paintings, reliefs, sculptures, drawings, and prints. Frank Stella Prints: A Retrospective details the artist’s remarkable career as a printmaker. It presents, as evidence, over 100 prints that make apparent how his highly experimental endeavors have redefined the traditional print. The exhibition also offers a clear view of Stella’s stylistic evolution—a series of reinventions from the minimalist geometric abstraction of the early years to the baroque exuberance of the later gestural work.Frank Stella Prints: A Retrospective is the artist’s first major print retrospective since 1982. The exhibition is also the occasion for the publication of a revised and expanded second edition of The Prints of Frank Stella: A Catalogue Raisonné, 1967─1982 (New York: Hudson Hills Press, 1983).
Rick Axsom, Curator, Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, Stephen Fleischman, Director, Madison Museum of Contemporary Art
Installation photos of "Frank Stella: Prints" with Jordan D. Schnitzer. Photo credit: Sharon Vanorny. Images courtesy MMoCA.
Exhibition Tour at the opening of "Frank Stella: Prints" with Jordan D. Schnitzer. Photo credit: Sharon Vanorny. Images courtesy MMoCA.
- MMOCA Examines Frank Stella's Complex Abstractions - Wisconsin Gazette
- Frank Stella's Prints Reflect Bravura Artist - Tap Milwaukee
- Frank Stella's Prints Dazzle at MMOCA - Madison Magazine
- The Cap Times Interviews Frank Stella on Collaboration, Memory and Filling Space - The Cap Times
- MMOCA Hosts Frank Stella And His "Fantastical" Prints - Isthmus
- MMOCA Highlights Frank Stella's 50-Plus Year Career as a Printmaker - Beloit Daily News
- Frank Stella Prints: A Retrospective on view at Madison Museum of Contemporary Art - Press Release
- MMOCA exhibit shows Frank Stella as a "A Force to be Reckoned With" - The Cap Times
- Wisconsin State Journal Features "Big, Bold" Frank Stella Exhibition at MMOCA - Wisconsin State Journal
- Isthmus Recommends Frank Stella Prints: A Retrospective at MMOCA - Isthmus
- A New Frank Stella Retrospective, A Black Panthers Documentary, and More Events of Note in Madison this Week - Tone Madison
- Cause and Effect: Frank Stella's Prints - Art in Print
- What You See Isn't All You See: Frank Stella and Abstract Narration - Art in Print
- Frank Stella's Moby Dick Series - Art in Print
- A new Frank Stella retrospective, a Black Panthers documentary, and more events of note in Madison - Tone Madison
- Exhibition Information - Jordanschnitzer.org
- Frank Stella Prints: A Retrospective - Madison Museum of Contemporary Art
- Behind the Scenes of "Frank Stella Prints: A Retrospective" at the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art