Drawn from the collections of Jordan D. Schnitzer and his Family Foundation, Shiny, Sticky, Smooth: Pop Art and the Senses features the work of Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Wayne Thiebaud, James Rosenquist, Claes Oldenburg, and more. The bold and graphic work by these exceptional artists re-stages the traditional story of pop art as a full-sensory experience, leading visitors to a new perspective on the movement and to a deeper understanding of mass culture. As Andy Warhol noted, "Once you 'got' pop, you could never see a sign again the same way again. And once you thought pop, you could never see America the same way again."
- 3 to 10 p.m. Saturday, September 24: Exhibition Opening Party plus a celebration of the First Anniversary of WAM’s Art Garden. The event will include artmaking and family fun starting at 3 p.m., food trucks and Lamphouse Photo Company at 5 p.m., followed by a 7 p.m. stage show with Planet Hair and live music by Kansas City-based dance band KC Flo.
- 6 p.m. Wednesday, October 5: WAM Wednesday Pop Cinema, Goldfinger
- 6 p.m. Tuesday, October 11: Public Lecture on Andy Warhol’s Pleasure with Food with Dr. Elizabeth Athens, assistant curator of American art at the Worcester Art Museum
- 6 p.m. Wednesday, October 26: WAM Wednesday Pop Cinema, Yellow Submarine
- 6 p.m. Wednesday, November 11: WAM Pop Cinema, Artists and Models
All of these events are free and open to the public. For more information about Wichita Art Museum exhibitions and events, visit wichitaartmuseum.org.
Shiny, Sticky, Smooth: Pop Art and the Senses, Prints from the Collections of Jordan D. Schnitzer and His Family Foundation will be on view in the John W. and Mildred L. Graves Gallery and the Louise and S. O. Berean Gallery through January 15, 2017. Gallery hours are 10 am to 5 pm, Tuesday through Saturday and 1 to 5 pm on Sunday. Saturday admission is always free, thanks to the generosity of Colby Sandlian and Sandlian Realty.