JORDAN SCHNITZER Museum of Art at Washington State University
THE JORDAN SCHNITZER MUSEUM OF ART
“The Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art that we envision – an architectural beacon in the heart of campus – will complete the picture of a great university and provide a unique window into what it means to be a citizen of the world,” said Elson S. Floyd, late WSU president, about the new facility.
The project will break ground in November and is scheduled for completion in spring 2018. A gift of $5 million from Portland philanthropist and art collector Jordan Schnitzer – for whom the museum will be named – has provided nearly half of the $11 million to be raised from private sources. WSU will provide $4 million.
The museum permanent collection includes approximately 3,500 works. Among the most important are American paintings from the “Ash Can” School of the 1920s-30s; Goya’s “Los Disparates” print portfolio; 174 original photographs and prints by Andy Warhol; 201 works on paper by Jim Dine; a comprehensive collection of Northwest glass; and a recent gift of 39 works by Northwest artists from the Safeco collection.
Learn more about the plans at https://museum.wsu.edu/new/wp-content/uploads/sites/875/2015/07/WSU_MoA_booklet_reference_only.pdf.
Live Feed of Museum of Art Construction
We have created a job site camera monitoring system for the Museum of Art project. We have two cameras currently monitoring the site 24/7. One camera is located on top of Martin Stadium Press Box facing south while the other is located on top of Wilson Hall facing east. We are capturing images from each camera every 5 minutes and then sending them to this website where users can toggle back in time at five minute increments. If you ever see an image that says “frame not found” that could be for a variety of reasons. The first thing to check is to make sure you are on a calendar point of time that is “back in time”. The time lapse video is a running compilation of all 5 minute images.
Note: There may be some condensation on both cameras at certain times of the day when it is really cold.
Renderings of the new Museum of Art at WSU by architect Olson Kundig, 2016.
- Launch Party for the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art
- Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art at WSU Launch Interviews
- Jordan Schnitzer - Gift to WSU
- Patron Donates $5 Million for New WSU Museum of Art
- Conversations with President Elson S. Floyd: WSU Museum of Art Donor Jordan D. Schnitzer
- Jordan D. Schnitzer Delivers Washington State University Fall 2014 Commencement Speech
Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art at WSU, January 2017: Demo is complete on the top floor and prep for build phase is beginning. // Courtesy of WSU
Inauguration of the Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art at WSU. Photo Credit: Robert Hubner // WSU Photography Services
2014 Washington State University Fall Commencement on Dec. 13, 2014, at Beasley Coliseum in Pullman. Photo credit: Dean Hare.
- October 1 Launch Party Inaugurates WSU Museum of Art Expansion, WSU Press Release
- Art Museum Expansion Makes Room For More Diverse Art Displays, The Daily Evergreen
- Jordan Schnitzer Musuem of Art Expansion to House WSU's Art Collections in 2018, The Daily Evergreen
- Murrow News 8 Reports Jordan Schnitzer Museum of Art at WSU to Break Ground in November, Murrow News 8
- WSU Museum of Art Director to Retire Oct. 6, WSU News
- Washington State University, to be dedicated Saturday, named after Schnitzer, Portland Tribune
- Jordan Schnitzer gives WSU $5 million for Museum of Art, Oregon Jewish Life (pg. 38)
- Washington State University Announces $5 million Gift, art ltd.
- Jordan Schnitzer proves his love of art — again, Portland Business Journal
- WSU plans new art museum, receives $5 million gift, The Spokesman-Review
- Schnitzer kick-starts new WSU art museum campaign, Moscow-Pullman Daily News
- Large donation to WSU Museum of Art expansion project gets boost, KLEWTV
- Arts patron donates $5 million toward new WSU art museum, The Seattle Times
- Patron gives $5M to WSU art museum, 77 Square
- Jordan D. Schnitzer Presented with Honorary Degree of Doctor of Fine Arts at WSU, WSU News
- Washington State graduates urged to be greatest generation, Moscow-Pullman Daily News
- WSU awards nearly 800 diplomas at fall commencement, WSU News
- WSU to see 765 graduate at fall commencement, WSU News